Archdiocese of Boston, Melrose, MA

The nave of St. Mary’s Church, built in 1894, came through the sundry and manifold changes in architectural fashions largely unscathed. The chancel, however, has undergone at least three transformations. The first, in the 1920’s, de-Victorianized the apse; the second, in the 1970’s, adapted the layout to suit the Missal of Paul VI. The third transformation brought back rich color, decorative paintings, and neo-Victorian furnishings. By adding a carved-wood screen between the altar and the apse, we created a chapel to house the tabernacle in which the Blessed Sacrament is reserved. (Keefe Associates)